Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

EMERGENCY PASTA

According to my GPS Watch - I ran 6km around the river this morning. I was starving when I got home - but there is nothing unhealthy in the fridge so I had a piece of rye toast, some grapes and an apple for breakfast while I made lunch.....hmm, what to make for lunch. Given how hungry I was - I decided to whip up an EMERGENCY PASTA this is easy - just use one cup of pasta per person - add some chopped mushrooms, olives, peppers, sun dried tomatoes....whatever you have in the fridge, squeeze in some lemon juice, grind on salt pepper and dash in some extra virgin olive oil  - perfect! Trick is to keep to a small portion when you are trying to lose weight.
By dinner time...I am so hungry I want to eat a tofu factory! However, I decided to make:
SPICY ROAST VEGETABLES ON QUINOA
Quinoa is a delicious grain and very good for vegetarians as it has a very high protein content.
To make this dish:
Chop up loads of vegetables - use whatever you have,  I used:
2 x Carrots
Half a Butternut
1 x Red Pepper
2 x Red Potatoes
2 x Turnips
3 x Courgettes
Place in a roasting dish and sprinkle on some Garam Marsala, Garlic Salt and Cumin Seeds & Some ground chili if you like a kick! Cook in the oven covered for 25 mins, then uncovered for 25 mins - depending on your oven and what vegetables you have used - just check to see they are ready before serving, nothing worse than raw potatoes!
Follow the cooking instructions on the Quinoa packet (easy peasy cooks in no time at all).
Plate up your delicious dish, top with low fat plain yogurt and fresh coriander. Yum, a low fat, high protein vegetable dish!




No comments:

Post a Comment